Strawberry Basil Jam
Recipe & Photo courtesy of Alaska From Scratch
- 1lb fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
- 1c sugar
- Zest and juice of half a large lemon
- 1/4t vanilla
- 2-3 large fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Place all the ingredients into a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, stirring often.
- When sugar has dissolved, using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until mostly smooth, with some larger chunks remaining. (Don’t have an immersion blender? Try mashing with a potato masher).
- Increase heat to high and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil until the mixture reaches 220 degrees and coats your spoon. Pour hot mixture into a glass jar or jars – I use a funnel for this (one 12oz jar should do).
- If jam is going to be consumed right away (within the week), there is no need to process the jar; just stick it straight into the refrigerator.
If your strawberries aren’t particularly sweet, you can increase the sugar 1/4c.
Photo Courtesy of Summit Lake Lodge
Moose Pass is a beautiful Alaska community nestled on the shores of Trail Lake in the heart of the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska’s playground. Here you will find wonderful people who will make your Alaska experience memorable! Our community includes numerous bed and breakfast establishments, guide services, flight-seeing, a restaurant and shops. It is the perfect location to serve as a homebase for visiting in Seward or the Russian River fishing area.
Surrounded by towering mountains, Moose Pass will help you enjoy a vacation respite whether you are a sportsman, photographer, explorer, pilot, or hammock-bound book lover! The trails of the Chugach National Forest will take you to pristine mountain lakes, bountiful berry patches, and breathtaking alpine vistas. Located one hundred miles south of Anchorage and thirty miles north of Seward, we are an easy drive from every popular destination. Homer is three hours away along one of the world’s great scenic highways.
For more information, visit the Moose Pass Chamber of Commerce @ http://www.moosepassalaska.com