Strawberry Basil Jam
Recipe & Photo courtesy of Alaska From Scratch
- 1lb fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
- 1c sugar
- Zest and juice of half a large lemon
- 1/4t vanilla
- 2-3 large fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Place all the ingredients into a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, stirring often.
- When sugar has dissolved, using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until mostly smooth, with some larger chunks remaining. (Don’t have an immersion blender? Try mashing with a potato masher).
- Increase heat to high and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil until the mixture reaches 220 degrees and coats your spoon. Pour hot mixture into a glass jar or jars – I use a funnel for this (one 12oz jar should do).
- If jam is going to be consumed right away (within the week), there is no need to process the jar; just stick it straight into the refrigerator.
If your strawberries aren’t particularly sweet, you can increase the sugar 1/4c.